Floodlight uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Learn more GOT IT

What funding options are available for courses?

Safeera Sarjoo

Safeera Sarjoo

Adult Learning Editor, IDP Connect

First published on March 10,2017 Amended on March 10,2017

Whether it’s the realisation that you need to take a course in order to progress professionally, or the desire to try something new, finding the ideal course can feel like stumbling upon gold dust.

Where it gets difficult is noticing the price tag that can be attached to that course, particularly if you’re going to gain a professional qualification at the end. Funding is an issue that often crops up when it comes to booking a course.

Questions about payment plans, concessions or loans are often things we get asked about on Floodlight so we thought it would be helpful to put together a little guide on funding and the steps you can take to see if you qualify or will be granted financial help with your course.

The first thing we recommend is asking the course providers whether they offer financial help. Sometimes colleges and/or training providers may have concessions for people over 50 years old or those aged between 16 – 19. A quick check on their website or a call directly to them will answer that question in no time.

According to the www.gov.uk website, if you are aged between 16 and 19 then you may be able to get a bursary to help with your course costs in England. This is on the basis that you are studying at a publicly funded school or college in England or that you’re on a training course. This can also include unpaid work experience. There are different schemes in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland that you can read about on the Gov.uk website.

If the price itself isn’t an issue but you’re looking to split payments in instalments, then the college and/or training provider running the course are the best people to ask about this too. As they’re the ones delivering the course, you will be paying them.

Loans aren’t just for university students. There are student loans out there for people looking to venture into further education. The www.gov.uk is a great place to help you find a loan based on the type of subject you’re looking to study. There is an entire section on Further Education courses and Funding as well as Grants and Bursaries for adult learners.

If you’re unemployed and are interested in taking a course then you may be able to complete your training for free if you are claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance, in an Employment and Support Allowance work related activity group or if you’re required to do training as part of your Universal Credit claim.  

Safeera Sarjoo

Safeera Sarjoo

Adult Learning Editor, IDP Connect

Safeera is Editor of Whatuni and a journalist from Kingston University. Always the inquisitive, her writing spans across a number of areas such as sustainability, fashion, lifestyle and now education. Her belief that you never stop learning and passionate nature has taken her to New York City as part of her degree and across the airwaves on national radio talking about the issues that matter to her.

Feeling inspired? Explore our subjects

View subjects