Learning to drive can be a bit of a rollercoaster to say the least. Finding the perfect course and instructor can feel like looking for a needle in a haystack, with so many to choose from how do you find the one for you? Luckily you’ve come to the right place, with plenty of driving courses listed on our site, we are here to help! As we discuss our own experiences here on the lovemycourse editorial desk, they really do range from first time flyers to those of us who (cough) forgot to turn the engine on. So to reassure you, we thought we would share our nine top things to expect when learning to drive. Good luck!
1. Road signs can be really confusing
2. Your driving instructor will somehow manage to invade your personal space, from the passenger seat
3. Practising with your parents will seriously test your relationship.
4. Duel control will freak you out every time – how is the car moving when I’m not touching the pedals?
5. Wait what exit?
6. Spend the first half of your test stressing about being given the parallel parking manoeuvre...
7. And the second half stressing about what the instructor is writing down.
8. SERIOUSLY WHAT IS HE WRITING?
9. Good news! You’ve passed. Judging whether you can fit your car through spaces will get easier, we promise.
Feel ready to get behind the wheel? Whether you are still searching for a course or preparing for your test, find the course for you and get ready to mirror, signal and manoeuvre your way to those ‘P’ plates!
Adult Learning Editor, Hotcourses Group
Jane McGuire received her BA (English) from the University of Loughborough. A yoga enthusiast with a sweet tooth, in her spare time you will probably find Jane in the gym or online shopping.
Feeling inspired? Explore our subjects